If you love snow ball fighting, snowboarding and other winter activities then you probably can’t wait for the first flakes to make their appearance every year. I know I'm always so happy to snug under a blanket sipping tea knowing there's a winter wonderland out there! While winter is definitely an opportunity to get outdoors and enjoy all it has to offer, it does have a downside when it comes to your skin.
Familiar with the “winter itch”? I feel you. It also seems to happen at the most inopportune times, like on a date or out at a bar with friends. It doesn’t matter how comfortable you are with your friends, scratching your skin furiously is still plain embarrassing, not to mention darn uncomfortable! I get it all over mi thighs and butt-cheeks...neat huh?!?
You may desperately try to get your hands on the first moisturizing product that catches your eye at the drugstore, but unfortunately most conventional products are packed with synthetic ingredients that will only put your health at risk and don't work anyway.
Treating dry winter skin involves more than just what products you choose to slather on your skin. Keep reading for tips on how to keep skin moisturized in winter and fight the dryness of the season once and for all!
Why do I get dry, itchy skin in winter?
Why oh why.... Well, the humidity levels drop during the frosty season, which means dry, bitter air. This cold, dry air saps moisture out of your skin, leaving it feeling, tight, dry and oh so itchy.
It’s a bit of a catch-22 situation, because the air indoors is just as dry thanks to indoor heating.
Your best bet to combat this problem would be to:
- Stay hydrated from inside: drink water and enjoy herbal teas all day every day!
- Invest in a humidifier to help put the moisture back into the air and take the itch out of your skin, that will really help.
- Use a moisturizer with butters and oils: if it feels too thick for you put it on at night and let your skin absorb it during the night.
What’s the best way to hydrate skin?
1) Many people don’t realize that treating dry, itchy skin starts on the inside. Sip on sugary lattes all day and you’ll soon notice the problem gets worse.
Sugar draws moisture out of skin cells, which further dehydrates your skin. Start sipping on the good stuff though (water, not wine!) and you’ll notice your skin is less dry, plumper and smoother. Aim for at least 2 liters a day, and yes, herbal teas count too.
2) When was the last time you exfoliated? If only I had a dollar for every time someone has complained to me about their dry winter skin saying: "I put moisturizer on every day and look (insert disgusting cracked skin pic here)!". How do you expect your skin to be able to absorb the goodness coming from your moisturizer if you don't eliminate the layers and layers of dead cells? While you're at it, exfoliate with an oil based scrub. Here are 5 safe and easy DIY recipes for ya!
3) Add Oil and Butter based Products To Your Winter Skincare Routine To Fight Itchy, Chapped Skin
The ingredients in your skincare products go a long way in helping to soothe, hydrate and form a protective barrier on the skin to lock moisture in and keep dryness and pollutants out. Find products formulated with only natural, skin lovin’ and non-toxic ingredients for instant relief you can feel and visible, glowing results.
Here are some ideas for you!
For your body and face
Our Rich Body and Face Moisturizer will fight itchy skin by enveloping you in a soothing blend of unrivaled hydrating ingredients including cocoa butter and shea butter, while vitamins A, C, E and F will work together to reduce inflammation, prevent and soften stretch marks and scars and promote a gorgeous, radiant glow all season long!
For your lips
We’ve all had to deal with dry, flaking lips at some point in our lives, but fight back and treat your lips to this decadent and refreshing cocoa and peppermint lip balm, jam-packed with ingredients like cocoa butter, almond oil, coconut oil and beeswax to leave your lips silky soft, plump and flake free for good!
Don’t let winter dull your glow this season. Follow our tips and show it who’s boss!