Many of us tend to skip over steps in our skin care routine that we feel aren’t that important, eager to move on to the serums and oils and fancy stuff that are sure to "transform" our skin.
While we certainly agree that these facial products can make a huge difference, they aren’t worth using if you aren’t cleansing your face properly first.
You wouldn’t apply your conditioner without first shampooing your hair or apply your setting powder before you apply your foundation, so why the heck are some of us not washing our face before applying our skin care products?
In this article we’ll change how you feel about cleansing so keep reading!
The Benefits of Facial Cleansing
Throughout the day your skin is exposed to a number of pollutants that simply build-up as the day goes on.
Everytime you touch something you are exposing your hands to germs. You may then absentmindedly massage your brow bone while scrolling through endless emails or brush your hair off your face while working out or rushing to a meeting.
Any germs your hands may have encountered have now been transferred to your skin. Of course there are also other factors that come into play such as environmental pollutants, all of which expose the skin to dirt, grime and free radicals.
It’s inevitable that your skin is going to come into contact with dirt each and every day, but you can minimize the stress on your skin by ensuring you properly cleanse your skin at night to remove all traces of dirt, bacteria and makeup.
By cleansing your skin properly, you help to wash away dirt and oil that may have clogged your pores and contributed to breakouts. Cleansing also preps your skin for your skin care products that follow so that you can ensure they properly sink into your pores to deliver their active ingredients.
Otherwise your products will simply cling to dirt and skin cells on the surface of your skin and provide no real benefits. Gross.
- Do cleanse your face twice a day to keep it clear, healthy and glowing.
- Do consider an occasional double cleanse at night to ensure a deep down clean. The first cleanse removes dirt and impurities on the surface of the skin while the second cleanse works deeper to remove dirt and oils from inside the pores. (more on this soon!)
- Do use natural products. What the heck is the point of removing dirt with chemicals and fragrances that will linger on your skin?
- If you're using our Tone'N'Clean Cleanser, Do leave it on after the final cleanse! Yes, that’s right. Our cleanser doubles as a toner too to balance pH levels, tighten the pores and smooth the skin.
- Do use a clean, soft towel to dry your skin. Not the one that always falls on the floor, or sits next to the toilet for weeks at the time, PLEASE. Consider trying our super soft and eco friendly Bamboo Towels.
- Don’t use conventional products that leave your skin with that “squeaky” clean feeling. Most conventional cleansers rely on harsh sulfates to provide a foamy lather, which may feel great, but strips your skin of all beneficial oils, leaving it dry and irritated.
- Don’t use cleansing wipes. They may be quick and easy, but they are very drying and don’t remove makeup and dirt properly.
- Don't skip this step. Go to bed clean.
- Don't rub your face EVER, unless your hands are clean.
Be sure to follow these dos and don’ts of properly washing your face to make sure you’re not just transferring dirt on your face, but rather keeping it healthy.